Keratitis or Dry eye is a very common problem caused due to the lack of sufficient moisture and lubrication on the eye’s surface. Due to this problem, generalized decrease in the tears production is seen both quantitatively and qualitatively. The tears are basically made up of the tree layers, mucous layer, lipid layer and the watery layer. Any problem in these layers lead to the problem of dry eyes.
The common symptoms of dry eyes is feeling of the burning sensation, persistent dryness and even scratching. Along with these symptoms, the person may feel pain, irritation and continuous redness in the eyes. There are cases where the people even reported the blurred vision and the problem of sensitivity towards the light.
Causes of Dry eyes:
- Normally seen as a natural ageing process caused due to menopause.
- Excessive smoking and over consumption of alcohol.
- Over pollution
- Due to living in the areas with dust, dry and hot climate.
- Diminished tears’ flow
- Due to adverse effects of medication.
In Ayurveda, the Dry Eye Syndrome is treated in a very different manner. Eyes that are considered as the seat of Tej Mahabhoota also known as Pitta dosha is treated with the use of ghee. Usually the Triphala ghee is used in order to cure a number of eye diseases including the dry eye syndrome. Ghee is said to have a number of nutritional values and assists in regulating the tears, eye lids as well as the extra ocular muscles.
Under this, the treatment is carried out in a manner as given below:
- Initially the drops of Ghee are instilled into the eyes.
- A gentle massage with triphala ghee is done around and over the eyes.
- Netra Tarpan- a popular ayurvedic procedure is carried out to give good relief.