Psoriasis is a common skin condition which generally affects people between 15-35 years of age. It is non-contagious but chronic skin disease in which there is rapid growth of new skin cells, which generally takes time. Thus, thick patches of red, dry and itchy skin appear because of accumulation of dead skin cells.
These dry patches can develop around elbows, knees or scalp and in most cases go unnoticed. However, in some cases, the condition can be severe in which a large part of the body is affected.
The exact causes of the disease are still unknown. However, experts believe that genetic conditions and immune system can contribute to the disease in some way. In psoriasis, healthy skin cells are attacked by the body’s T-cells, thus triggering rapid production of new skin cells. Causes believed to influence the disease are as follows:
- Low immunity
- Use of certain medication
Ayurveda Internal medicine and Ayurveda Panchakarma treatment can help the patient get relief from inflammation and skin irritations.
Complications of psoriasis:
Psoriasis increases the risk for other diseases, including Psoriatic arthritis, Type 2 diabetes, Cardiovascular disease, High blood pressure, Parkinson’s disease and Kidney disease.
Types of Psoriasis
- Plaque psoriasis
- Guttate psoriasis
- Scalp psoriasis
- Inverse psoriasis
- Nail psoriasis
- Pustular psoriasis
- Erythrodermic psoriasis
Ayurveda view of Psoriasis:
According to Ayurveda, Psoriasis is a result of imbalance in doshas in the body – mainly Vata dosha and Kapha dosha. Alteration in the doshas causes accumulation of toxins and also contamination of deeper tissues in the body which results in to symptoms of Psoriasis. Practitioners of Ayurveda classify psoriasis as a “kushtha” a skin health condition.
Ayurveda Treatment in Psoriasis:
Ayurvedic treatment for the disease focuses on building and rectifying the immune system and reducing the lesions for immediate relief. Ayurdhama Ayurveda treatment for psoriasis has proved to achieve a symptom-free state.
Ayurvedic line of treatment:
- Ghritapana(oral administration of medicated ghee)
- Vamana(emesis) According to the need Virechana(purgation)can also be carried or else both are also recommended one after the other)
- Shamana Aushadha(Internal medicaments)- Both internal and external medication is carried.
The other treatment includes repeated detoxification’s, takradhara, shirodhara, abhyanga, lepa and other treatments.
Ayurvedic practices typically revolve around a vegetarian diet. Also, foods to avoid include high-carbohydrate ingredients and products that contain large amounts of sugar.
Also, Ayurvedic practices suggest a person should avoid foods that are “in the extreme,” such as tastes that are too salty, too sour, too spicy or too acidic.
Meditation and Yoga:
Cut down your stress to shake off your symptoms. Meditation can help you take your psoriasis in stride.Yoga is especially helpful if you have psoriatic arthritis, too, because it eases joint pain and expands your range of motion.
Common Ayurveda medicines or formulations used in Psoriasis:
- Manibadra Gulam
- Madhusnuhi Rasayana
- Maha thiktaka Gritha
- Guggulu thiktaka Gritha
- Aragwadadi Gritha
- Panchathiktaka Gritha
- Aragwadadi Kashaya
- Maha thiktaka kashaya
- Patola katu rohinyadi kashaya
- Vasaguduchyadi kashaya
- Patolamooladi Kashaya
- Nimbadi choorna
- Shatdharana Gulika
- Kaishora Guggulu
- Amrithadi Guggulu
- Arogyavardini Rasa
- Gandaka Rasayana
Ayurveda home remedies for Psoriasis:
The following Ayurvedic herbal remedies may also be used to treat psoriasis:
- Kakamachi (Solanum nigrum) juice to reduce inflammation
- Garlic and onions to purify the blood
- Take handful of Jasmine flowers and make paste and apply to relieve itching and reduce inflammation
- Guggulu to reduce inflammation
- Neem to boost the immune system and purify the blood
- Turmeric paste application or also as internal supplement to reduce inflammation and redness
- Aloe Vera pulp paste for application
- Applying natural soothing oils, such as coconut or olive oils.
- Powder few almonds and boil thoroughly in water. Apply this paste on affected areas and let it remain overnight. Next morning, wash it off with water.
- Boil one teaspoonful sandalwood powder in three cups of water until it is reduced to one cup. Add a little rose water and sugar and take thrice a day.
- Drink fresh cabbage juice (1/2 cup) everyday, which will ensure faster recovery from the condition.
- Take four marigold flower heads and boil them in four cups of water. Once cooled, apply on affected parts.
- Take fresh cabbage leaves and apply them over the affected skin.
Note: The Effectiveness of the treatments also depend on individual’s age, health condition, severity and associated conditions.
Know your Doctor:
Dr. Hariprasad Shetty M has done his B.A.M.S , M.D from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences in 2005. He is an accomplished Ayurvedic doctor and has delivered results in the field of Skin diseases since 2005. He has lots of experience in Ayurveda treatment of psoriasis and it’s complications. His approach into finding the root cause of any issue with a holistic approach towards finding the solution through Proper consultation, Panchakarma treatment and Internal medication.