What is tension headache?
A tension headache is generally a mild to moderate pain that’s often described as feeling like a tight band around the head. A tension-type headache is the most common type of headache.
Managing a tension type headache is often a balance between practicing healthy habits, healthy lifestyle, finding effective non drug treatments and using medications appropriately.
- Dull, aching head pain
- Sensation of tightness or pressure across the forehead or on the sides and back of the head
- Tenderness in the scalp, neck and shoulder muscles
When to see a doctor
- If tension-type headaches disrupt your life or you need to take medication for your headaches more than twice a week, see your doctor.
- Even if you have a history of headaches, see your doctor if the pattern changes or your headaches suddenly feel different.
- Occasionally, headaches may indicate a serious medical condition, such as a brain tumor or rupture of a weakened blood vessel.
When to seek emergency help
- Abrupt, severe headache
- Headache with a fever, stiff neck, mental confusion, seizures, double vision, weakness, numbness or speaking difficulties
- Headache after a head injury, especially if the headache gets worse
- Fear, phobia
- Excess anger
- Late night sleep
- Skipping meals
- Excess straining of sense organs – hearing loud voice, seeing minute or shining object for long time.
- Excess computer work which strain neck muscles
- Exposure to cold wind, snow and hot sun
- Talking excessively with high tone
- Smoking and intake of alcohol
Stress is the most commonly reported trigger for tension-type headaches.
- Effects on job productivity and overall quality of life.
- The frequent pain may render you unable to attend activities.
- You might need to stay home from work.
- If you do go to your job, your ability to function may be impaired.
- Take meals at right time
- Warm fluids and food items should be consumed
- Avoid refrigerated food items
- Have warm water shower
- Do not read or see bright screen for dim light
- Head oil massage should be done at least twice in week
- Avoid long time exposure to cold wind, mist and sun
- Do mobility exercise to relieve stress over neck and shoulder muscles.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Pranayama, deep breathing, yoga and meditation.
- Do regular exercises
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Rest, ice packs or a long, hot shower may be all you need to relieve a tension headache.
- Manage your stress level. One way to help reduce stress is by planning ahead and organizing your day.
- Another way is to allow more time to relax.
- And if you’re caught in a stressful situation, consider stepping back.
- Go hot or cold. Applying heat or ice — whichever you prefer — to sore muscles may ease a tension-type headache.
- Perfect your posture. Good posture can help keep your muscles from tensing.
- When sitting, make sure your thighs are parallel to the ground and your head isn’t slumped forward.
Ayurveda Treatment principles:-
- Shira Shula chikitsa
- Vatanulomana oushadhas
- Vata Shamana oushadhas
- Manasika balya oushadhas
- Nadi balya oushadhas
- Mastishka vishesha oushadhas
- Ojaskara oushadhas
- Nidrajanana oushadhas
Treatment procedures: –
- Veshtana (on fore head)
- Nadi sweda with vatahara dravya sidha kashaya
- Shiro picchu
- Shiro vasti
- Nasya (taila/grita)
Internal Ayurveda medicines used in Tension headache
- Bala shadangam kashaya
- Bhärngyadi kashaya
- Chiruvilwädi kashaya
- Dashamula kashãya (dhara)
- Gandharavahastädi kashaya
- Kalyanakam kashaya
- Mahakalyänakam kashaya
- Pathyashadangam kashaya
- Vidaryadi kashaya
Arishta / asava:-
- Aswagandha+shankhapushpi + brahmi churna with milk
- Adhinashaka churna
- Kacchuradi churna
- Panchagandha churna
- Sankhapushpi + Guduchi churna / swarasa (int)
- Shunthi + balā churna with milk (lepana/talam)
- Aswagandha gulika
- Dhānwnatram gulika
- Karutta gulika (lepana)
- Manasamitra vatakam
- Vettumaran gulika
Taila (int/ext/nasya): –
- Anu tailam (nasya)
- Asanavilwadi taila
- Bala taila
- Balaguluchyadi taila
- Balashwagandhādi taila
- Brahmi taila
- Brihat dashamula taila
- Chandanadi taila
- Dhanwantaram taila
- Gandharveranda taila (int)
- Hingutriguna taila (int)
- Kayatirumeni taila
- Kshirabala taila
- Narayana taila
- Prasarani taila
- Tenginpushpadi taila.
- Brihat panchamula siddha ghita
- Dashamula siddha ghita (nasya)
- Jivanthyädi ghita
- Kalyanakam ghita
- Mahakalyanakam ghita
- Panchagavya ghita
- Varanadi ghita
- Varanādi kshira ghita (nasya)
- Vidärikalyanaka ghita
- Vidäryädi ghita
- Ashwagandhadi lehya
- Brahma rasayana
- Nayopayam lehya
- Godanti + pravala bhasma
- Godanti bhasma + medhya drugs
- Hingula bhasma.
Rasa/ dhatu/ Ioha preparations: –
- Ekangaveea rasa
- Laghumalini vasanta rasa
- Maha lakshmivilasa rasa
- Maha vatavidhwamsa rasa
- Samirapannaga rasa
- Siddha makaradwaja rasa
- Shirashuladi vajra rasa
- Tribhuvanakirti rasa
- Balā churna with dhānwnataram taila or Kshirabala taila – talam
- Kacchuradi churna with kshirabala taila – talam
Wholesome diet in tension headache –
Milk, sugarcane juice, tender coconut water, ghee, jaggery, butter, buttermilk, mango, banana, dates, ash guard, pumpkin, drumstick, cumin seeds, rice, wheat
Unwholesome diet in tension headache:
Honey, barley, unripe fruits, peas, groundnut, potato, chilly, pepper.
Excess spicy foods, junk foods
All these can increase Vata Dosha, irritate the nerves and worsen headache.
Activities to reduce tension headache –
- Soothing music
- Dry gentle massage just with your finger tips
- Less people around you
- Switch off your phone and stay away from it for 1 hour.
- Turn off light
- Lower the brightness of your phone and computer.
- Simple Anuloma Viloma Pranayama for 2 minutes
- Yoga and Medication
About Our Doctor
Dr. Hariprasad Shetty – B.A.M.S, M.D
Medical Director, Ayurdhama Ayurveda Hospital
For appointments call: +91-98804 64302
Dr. Hariprasad Shetty has done her B.A.M.S , M.D from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences in 2005. He is an accomplished Ayurvedic doctor and has delivered results in the field of Ayurveda treatment since 2005. His areas of interest include in detail understanding and management of diseases through proper ayurveda treatment. His approach into finding the root cause of any issue with a holistic approach towards finding the solution through Proper consultation, Panchakarma treatment and Internal medication.